Saturday, April 30, 2005

All in a Day's Work

290405

On Network Marketing

Met up with Loren before heading down to Shenton Way for an introductory session on Network Marketing with Alvin. We spent all of four hours trying to understand the whole concept, to which there were some glaring matters that were uncomfortable to me, such as the need to provide an initial capital overlay and a monthly 'membership' payment.

Adjourned for dinner at Lau Pat Sat, where Loren and I had some prata at Prata Raja. The Eurasian lady and Indian prata man quarrelled when she apparently mixed up our order. Sigh...

300405

On Bus Drivers

Went down to YMCA this morning for the Citibank-YMCA Youth for Causes Opening ceremony. I took bus 105 down to town. At Stevens Road, I asked the bus driver if we were approaching YMCA. He said that we had overshot by around 3 to 4 bus stops, so I hastily alighted at Far East Plaza and took his advice of taking bus service 190 in the oppsite direction. When I asked the first bus that arrived, a 124, the driver did not know where the YMCA was, so I decided to back track, since it was quite a straight-forward route. I trotted over to the 'YMCA', and approaching the building, realized to my horror, that it was the Metropolitan YMCA (Stevens Road), and not the one with the MacDonald's (Orchard Road). Thankfully a staff member verbally guided me there. I went to the bus stop and enquired if the bus, a 105 again, passed by Plaza Singapura (YMCA is near PS). He replied affirmative, so I boarded the bus. However, at Far East Plaza, he told me to alight and board a train to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station! I disembarked and took a quick look at the bus services that plied Orchard Road, and to my pleasant surprise, a 190 did appear after just a couple of minutes, and I boarded it for a smooth ride to PS. I ended up being 45 minutes late for the seminar, and had to stand by the side for quite a while, until Yi Linn noticed me and motioned me to a vacant seat near the back row.

Mental Note to self: Do not trust Bus Drivers blindly, even if you are in a rush. I was sent on a wild goose chase as a result of trusting them.

The seminar went on smoothly, with inspiring speakers from 77th Street, Ya Kun Kaya Toast and Haagen Daz. A quarter to noon, President SR Nathan graced the seminar to officiate the opening of the Youth for Causes programme, after which we adjourned for lunch on the 4th Floor and viewed the exhibits for the past years' projects.

Met up with Yao Shun and Weizhang and headed down to Bras Basah Complex to source for 'cheap books and magazines'. The books there are no longer as cheap as they once were; I guess the vendors are forced to sell them at a higher price to cover monthly rental charges there, as sales seem to be taking a dip (judging by the crowd at the Complex).

We had our dinner at Subway Shaw Towers, where we had a regrettable experience with awful service. But I shall leave that to tommorrow.

Did you know?

(US Data) You are as likely to die in an air- or space-borne accident as drowning in a swimming pool.

Ya Kun Kaya Toast has been around since 1944. That's around 60 years of the traditional coffee and toast experience. No wonder they say, "At Ya Kun, we create a tradition".

No comments: