Sunday, May 30, 2004

What a week it has been!

Went outfield from Monday to Wednesday. Initially attached as an ambulance medic, I doubled up as the stand-in company medic midway through the CPT. During the night walk en route to the objective, though, I was essentially, unceremoniously, 'abandoned'. What happened was that I was instructed to stay put at the entrance of a narrow footpath. After five to ten minutes, when I realized that the one who instructed me to stay there was not going to return, I began to make my way down the dark, unlit path, guided along only by the faint glow of two measly cyalume straws. At the end of the trail was a road, I searched the area within a fifty metre radius, but all my efforts came to nought, as I was simply unable to locate the track. I returned to my original placeand decided to wait for day break before carrying out my next course of action. At six thirty, I saw an ATTC speed past me, and in the distance, gunshots were heard.I took what was naturally the most sensible thing, and trekked in the general direction of the noise. After ten minutes of walking towards the fading roar of the ATTCs, I orientated myself, as this was the very place I had transversed when I was covering for Lion's mounted training a couple of months back. I walked a full circle around the place, but was unable to contact any friendly forces, only a section of reservists and recces. Eventually, six hours later, my ordeal was over. I was promptly picked up and brought back to the safety of my ambulance. And kaffir got its flag after all. In fact, I think they did pretty well during the rest of the Exercise. Oh well, at least it was a unique experience spending a birthday alone, out in the wilderness.

On Thursday, I chance upon the most number of my BMT platoon mates since we passed out last year- Jeff, Herbert, Ming Hui and Alvin. Well, I'll have some planning to do; We're going to organize a gathering during Vesak Day. In fact, I'm going to call them up later in the morning. A turnout crowd of more than eight fellas would be surprising.

Another incident also took place in the afternoon, as I was sending a patient to NUH. Due to the noisy traffic and a downward gradient along the AYE, the meter jumped a point, despite our attempts to halt the vehicle safely.

There's going to be some PC/ ELectronics fair down at the Singapore Expo Hall in the coming weekend. I just can't wait!

No comments: